Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Ugly Girl

Sergeant Babyak was the NCO evaluator for our patrolling lanes (the missions were four hours long, with two squads of twelve forming one patrol). Though I was not impressed with him as an individual, he was monstrously large. Probably 6’5”, 230 lbs. And fit. Anyway, he did say a lot of funny things. At one point someone planned an ambush, but the ambush site was out in the middle of an open field. We just lay down in the grass and kept our heads low. We were totally invisible (which is rare among cadets performing an ambush on their own). During the after action review, Sergeant Babyak asked, “Have ya’ll ever heard of an L-shaped ambush? It should look like an L. Your lines were all skewed. But that’s all right, it had a strange kinda beauty. It was kinda like an ugly girl. You know she’s ugly, but somehow there’s something that just catches your eye.”

Sergeant Babyak took some kind of strange liking to me after he learned that I’m Mormon.

“ ‘Ey, ‘ey. Where’s Buck? Where you at Buck? Here, have some cookies.”

“ ‘Ey, ‘ey. You want some jerky, Buck? Here ya go.”

“I’m not gonna tell any of ya how far my little GPS says we’ve gone. Except Buck. Buck can ask me any time he wants.”

I don’t know. Inexplicable.

5 comments:

Timani said...

That's funny!!!

Natalie said...

Yeah, how funny! Reading those, it kinda makes me think of the guys on "Kelly's Heroes".

Stacey said...

Is he Mormon? i'm reading these out of order because I'm going from the top down. You sure tell a good story.

Dave Buck said...

He is not Mormon. I asked where his fascination with Mormons started. He said he had a platoon leader (a new lieutenant takes this job and works with a seasoned sergeant, in this case SGT Babyak, to run the platoon) who was a member.

Cassandra said...

So you got as much jerky as you wanted? Sweet action. If I wasn't Mormon already I'd join just for that.