Friday, June 19, 2009

I Love Remix

I recently realized that ‘music’ as an art form is not the only legitimate development. What if the first person to write a song wrote the song and everyone else just sang that same song, but they changed the music or the rhythm or the order of the words because it was the first music and they didn’t know they could write new songs? Then there wouldn’t be music. People wouldn’t say “I love music.” They’d say, “I love cover.” And people who are musicians now would be coverers. After the advent of modern technology and turntables a new art form would develop called remix, and some people would like remix and others would like cover, just like some people like poetry and some like sculpture. And we would still sing the same song as the first person who ever wrote music.

I’ve been listening to Just Dance (Remixes, Pt. 2) a lot lately. And am surprised how much I can feel like the same song remixed is like different music. And not all that boring.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Don't know which mix the part 2 is specifically, but I like that song!! And yep, new songs are good....sometimes old songs as a cover are better than the original (to me)!

Cassandra said...

My question is, how would the first person know how to write a song? And why wouldn't they have passed down their knowledge to their posterity? Maybe they died at a young age and the secret died with them. Yeah, that would probably be it.

PS I've seen lots of biker gangs on my journeying. None as cool as Damn Vandal though. Which is too bad because I think I'd be in love with him.